Sunday 6 February 2011

College magazine front cover


This is my mock up of the Deyes High School magazine, I stuck with the schools colour scheme of blue, red and white to make it have a recognisable house style which is what the original lacked. For example the background and text boxes are blue and the puff is red which relate to the school's logo. I combined more magazine features within the cover like puffs, motto's, tag lines etc. to make it seem interesting and have an entertaining concept.
 Changes I made in the magazine compared to the mock up was that I decided to not have a features section as it looked cluttered with information and I thought less would make it look sleek and modern. The headline, tag line and captions, in my opinion are self explanatory in telling the features of the magazine to entice the reader. The second alteration was a minor layout feature in which I had the headline and tag line to be in the same auto shape so the cover looked more composed than detached. 
I made sure that my images were all equal size and aligned together to relate to the headline and tag line as it says 'new improvements!', the audience may wonder what improvements and need the images to attract them to read on further. I used the 'rule of thirds' when taking my images as the eye is naturally drawn 2/3's up a photo and therefore I tried to make sure that my composition was balanced to be appealing. I also had to make sure the images were medium shots (waist up).
Unlike the two school magazines that I analysed, this cover's texts are the same font (Georgia), in which I think it gives a professional sense to it than being separate. I made important text features in bold to stand out like the masthead, headline, and motto whilst captions and the tag line weren't as they were just extra information that the reader may or may not need to persuade them to read. The headline I used was 'New year, New improvements!' in which I repeated the word 'new' to make it seem exciting to make the reader seem excited and the motto was 'care-courtesy-common sense' which uses the rule of three in to which is sticks in the audience's minds.



No comments:

Post a Comment